Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Mystery

“There cannot be two different faiths—one for you and one for the poor. The question on which the whole social problem really pivots is whether you recognize in the less fortunate, even in the poorest, not merely a creature, a person in wretched circumstances, but one of your own flesh and blood: for the sake of Christ, your brother . . .
There is suffering round about you, and those who suffer are your brothers, sharers of your nature, your own flesh and blood. You might have been in their place and they in your more pleasant position. The Gospel speaks to you of a Redeemer who, although he was rich, became poor for your sake so he might make you rich . . .
Just as the rich and poor sit down with each other at the communion table, so also you feel for the poor man as for a member of the body, which is all that you are as well . . .
Divine compassion, sympathy, a suffering with us and for us—that was the mystery of Golgotha.
You, too, must suffer with your suffering brothers.”

--Abraham Kuyper in The Problem of Poverty

My black scarf is on my desk at the office again, waiting for the trek to more lyksos (wakes). I cry for Habtamwa, for my friend who two months ago was laughing and joking about my bad Amharic. I cry because I didn’t get to hold her hand, to tell her I cared, to say again, one last time, that there is hope. I cry because there are more Habtamwas. I cry because I know how little I see myself as the poor, the broken, the blackest of sheep so desperately needing a rescuer. Because I fail to and refuse to acknowledge that truth in its entirety, I cannot suffer with and for the Habtamwas of this world as I am called to.
The mystery is inexplicable. Riches for me? From Him?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it so difficult to look at another and see them as no different than ourself? I prayed today on the way to work that I would be able to love "men as men" (s Francis Shafer says), that I would see the inmates as souls - just like mine, looking for a Saviour. Oh, that I would not think of myself so highly! That I would love others genuinely! That I would see Christ as Hope for everyone!
lyd

Anonymous said...

How do you deal with the overwhelming and uncontrollable desire to be able to share about Jesus and eternal life when there's a barrier like culture and language? Then someone dies and this overwhelming desire becomes urgent. How hard, and nearly impossible, to trust that the Lord is in control. Then why won't He just make me fluent in this language so that these people can have a chance?! Psalm 31. Luke 9:1-17. Be obedient to what He's called you to do and the Lord will take care of the rest. He will.
~Grav

Anonymous said...

That's when I say, my anchor holds to the Hope of Christ and His return.

Anonymous said...

Hello Sara,
Opa and I are playing with the computer.
Love ya and have a blessed day.
Love,
Aunt Barbara