Wednesday, March 07, 2007

They Make Me Smile

The project office has been pretty quiet this morning, and I've been catching up with emails and reading research articles and looking at my lists of things to do. Just now Selamawit came upstairs to see me. She's 6 and has a new hair-do today--her short curls are pulled up in tiny ponytails all over her head. She came to tell me that her mom was downstairs and needed to give me Selamawit's HIV medication to store. I followed Selamawit downstairs, slowing down as she carefully climbed down each step. We organized her medication and as I lowered the candy box for her, she gave me her best twinkly-eyed shy smile. If you click on that link to the right to "Matthew's Africa Thoughts" I think you can find a video of Selamawit from April, 06. If I were mildly technically literate, I'm sure I could put a link right here in the text for you, but I'm not--so sorry!
Yesterday Deborah had a cough so her mom brought her up to see us. She sat in my lap and we played for a bit--these photos were taken then. Deborah knows she's a favorite amongst the staff--she's like the project baby, and everyone laughs and smiles when she comes. We've seen first baby steps and heard squeals of anger and delight as she discovers the world around her. I wish that Deborah had a daddy and a much more stable life, but I'm glad we've been given the privilege of watching her grow up.
That's my world today.

No comments: