Friday, February 02, 2007

Even So

Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.
--Horatio Spafford
I think this is one of the precious and painful lessons the Lord has burned into me over the past nine months. That truly, whatever life brings and wherever I am--it IS well because HE has made it so. What incredible, incomprehensible grace. As I've realized this truth more and more, I've learned what it means to truly plead that the day would come quickly when HE will return and reign. There will be justice then, and we will see mercy poured out. I want that day to come soon. For me, and for the oppressed and broken and beaten ones in this world.
Life's not all ok, but right now I am peaceful. I'm listening to one of the most beautiful gifts I have ever received--an audio recording of all of my extended family during Christmas. I get to hear the family jokes (Bugle Boy?), the laughter and teasing, the stories dredged up from the past. I got to hear my uncle play the piano and his deep voice rolled over my soul. The tears came, but they were joy tears that I got to be a part of my family still. I heard my grandmother begin to cry as she read a note from me, and I heard her say, "I love you, Sara". I don't deserve this family--yet I've been given them! The incredible grace continues to overwhelm me.
Life will always be painful, and will rarely give me all I want from it. But that's ok, isn't it? Because that grace will always be there, and there will be moments of intense joy amidst the pain. Like right now, listening to my cousin's baby boy laugh and cry. I'm laughing and crying with him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear sara I sent you a message last time however I dont think it got across the water this oone ;may not either as ;my tears will wash it away. You dont know how much I love you and miss :U:three months seem like forever however God is in control and you are in His hands May God bless you real good is my prayer.oma

Anonymous said...

Sara! I almost cried when I read this...I wish you could have been there but I am so proud of you. I can see Christ shinning through you even though your thousands of miles away. You have been such an encouragement to me in my faith. I can't imagine the encouragement and the blessing you must be to the people there. God will bless you greatly in return. I see your picture every morning and I'm reminded to pray for you. I pray that God will help you to make the right decision whatever that might be. I love you and miss you...can't wait to see you. <>< Corrie