Monday, May 01, 2006

Full Circle in One Week

In the past 6 days, I have seen spectrum ends--from a funeral wake I attended last week to a wedding today, from home visits to see the some AIDS beneficiaries to walking through the Sheraton (the most lavish hotel I have ever seen)! It's enough to leave my head spinning, which it still is and probably will for quite some time. Today at the wedding I understood very little of the hour and a half long ceremony (apparently it was short) but everyone should be impressed that I managed to clap in rhythm for much of the lively service:)
My language "mastery" thus far consists only of greetings, goodbyes, and a very few other useful words. In a language where "Hello" to a female is different from that of a male, I'm daunted. But I will keep at it and probably mess up a lot, but if it means I get to communicate just a little better with a little toddler, a mother with her baby strapped on her back, or the pastor preaching unfamiliar words--it will be worth it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am disbelievingly impressed at your clapping skills. I guess it just took you getting to Africa for your rhythm to kick in!!
lydia

Sara P said...

Haha. Don't read too much into that:) Maybe it's easier with several hundred people enthusiastically (sp?) clapping out a rythym. I think I still fail. :)

Anonymous said...

hey sara just wanted to let you know we are praying for you love ya Corrie

Anonymous said...

sara you have my sympathy I would always miss up may God bless you real good opoma

Anonymous said...

sara you have my sympathy I would always miss up may God bless you real good opoma