Sunday, May 28, 2006

My Long Update

Due to frustratingly unknown reasons, I have not been able to access my blog or any blogspot site for the past 10 days. So, I am sorry for the delay in updates and I am not sure what will happen from here. Some of the best computer experts available are working to figure out the problem, and have graciously set up for me to post this through remote access. If I have to quit using this site for access reasons, I will let you know!
The past two weeks have been full ones and left me with much to think on. I joined a 9th grade school trip to southern Ethiopia as the "trip nurse"-really, it was just a great opportunity to see some of the incredible Ethiopian scenery:) I know everyone will gasp as they realize that I, Sara, spent nearly a week with 15 year olds camping! Yep, that's me! I thoroughly enjoyed the trip and was reminded of the joy given us when we give up even little things that we want and cling to. We logged 35 hours in a bus, and got to see absolutely amazing things-huge ocean-like lakes surrounded by mountains and old volcanoes, vivid green landscapes, fences made of cacti, baboons, crocs, hippos, camels, magnificent trees and amazing views! We rode horses up this mountain and camped at about 10,000 feet-I felt as though I was cantering through Lord of the Rings; I thought surely the massive, twisting, gnarly trees would boom out talking to me:) The students did Sunday School at one down country mission site-for nearly 600 African kids. That was an experience! I don't know that I would recommend trying to get that many kids in one room to do Father Abraham again!!!
When we got back from Addis we were greeted by hard news-one of the SIM missionaries here had been killed in a freak construction accident. It has obviously shaken the mission community here. On Thursday there was a service; it was a time of grief mixed with joy to be able to sing "When we've been there ten thousand years, we've no less days to sing His praise".
I've been wrestling with ideas of home and security, and this incident reminded me anew that they are thoughts that demand attention. As I sit in my too-quiet house on rainy, dreary evenings, I long for something more. But even in my longing, I must acknowledge that "more" will never satisfy. May we all learn that He is our sole sufficiency.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you post a picture of the fences made from cacti please?

lydia

Anonymous said...

dear sara ;good to have you back on blog Ive beeen missing but praise the Lord you were in good hands ; saw a lot;as well as learned more as to how you can rely on our Heavenly Father. Just put you whole trust in Him opa and oma.

Sara P said...

Lyd,
I'll look through my camera . . . surely I got a photo of that . . . it's pretty ingenious--if I were a cow I wouldn't go through it either!!