Sunday, December 24, 2006

It's Christmas Eve

It's 12:08am on this side of the world, and that means Christmas Eve has arrived. I'm not sure yet how that happened:)
Christmas is going to be very different this year . . . Thanksgiving was a hard day in many ways, yet sweet in others. I expect Christmas to be the same. I am learning that for the things we give up, we lay down, we let go of--there is yet more joy found in the brokeness we are left with.
Sure, I'd like to be in the car with my family headed to Texas right now. Dixie, my dog, will be frantically panting and steaming up the van windows. My brothers will be leaning against the windows, asleep in that awkward wadded-up-jacket-for-a-pillow position. My mom will be "resting her eyes", leaning against the yellow bone pillow I think my grandmother made. And Dad will be driving, squinting a little against the sun. And yes, I'd love to be with all of my extended family . . . for spice tea and cousins and catching up . . . for bodies crammed onto the open floor to sleep . . . for late nights of laughter and the real popcorn ball making event . . . for the richness of love and togetherness that I am blessed with in my family.
And yet, with all that I could be doing right now, I am here. And I am exactly where I am supposed to be. I am incredibly thankful for the privilege of being here, for the sufficient grace that's been poured upon me, for the sweet gifts I have been given in this place. I would love to have both worlds in my grasp right now, but even in my wishing, I know that I have the most precious Treasure of all. I have a King who became a Man so that I might live and never die. What greater gift could I desire?
Have a Merry Christmas, friends! May you remember that the best gift is not the silver one under the tree, or the family around you, or the security of your world . . . . but the truth that Jesus was born for you .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you Sara. Merry Christmas from me and my family!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Sara!!! You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Nicole

Anonymous said...

Hey Sara! You look so beautiful over there...:O) I mean don't get me wrong you always looked beautiful in MS but I think you look more beautiful now than you did over here. Of course, that makes sence ... you're doing exactly what you're suppose to be doing and God is working in you and through you. His light is greatly shining in you dispite the darkness and death that surrounds you.
Hope you are well over there. I am thrilled to see Aaron and you had a good time and that Christmas was celebrated with your traditions. It is a blessing to have JESUS as our LORD and Savior and as you said, it's the best gift ever. I agree, brokeness is the best part of being a Christian for it's in brokeness we can truely worship the LORD in all we do. :O) Always, Lea