Tuesday, July 04, 2006

From Sea to Shining Sea . . . and Beyond



Last night my moping attitude was continuing as I started to think about July 4th, and the family, friends, cookouts, fireworks and just togetherness I was going to miss. I had no plans, and had decided I just needed to ignore the day and act like it wasn't happening. But things changed when late last night I got invited to an Independence Day cookout. It was a joy to celebrate even from afar. The hosts managed to have more American decor than I have ever owned, and everyone contrived to pull together a pretty all-American meal complete with hamburgers, hotdogs, mac & cheese, fake pringles and lots of other good stuff. We were even joined by some Brits for our meal:) The crowning part of the evening was the country music playing in the background! It felt like I could have been in anyone's backyard in the states as I listened to "Where I Come From" coming from the speakers!! The best part, though, was being kindly reminded that I am not alone and wherever I get planted there will be times of fellowship and community.
So to all of you who haven't yet celebrated, Happy 4th. And corny song that it is, I do pray that "God bless the U.S.A"!!

3 comments:

Caroline said...

I'm glad you got to celebrate, American style!

Anonymous said...

I didn't hear anyone sing that song yesterday and I was quite disappointed! I like to think of it as patriotic...not corny.

I am glad you are a good American~:-)

lydia

Anonymous said...

You're so cute! I'm glad you had such a homey fourth. BTW it was Jessica's wedding Kelly photographed.
Love ya, Laura